http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds/love-literature

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/backgrounds/love-literature

Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer Time, Free Time, and Flying Potatoes



I find myself saying this a lot: "I don't know whether I should be proud or horrified!"

My wonderful 11-year-old created a potato cannon today. He tried to explain to me all about how he was going to do it, and I tried to follow and understand everything he said--I really did. I figured in theory it would work, but it wasn't until I heard a small explosion (similar to a very big pooof sound) and got a whiff of singed hair that I really realized it was more than just a theory--that cannon was fully functional!

He took apart a lighter, got a PVC pipe, some tape, a drill, and a bottle of hairspray, and voila! Next thing I see is a potato flying across the patio (I at least had the wherewithal to tell him to keep it outside, aim it toward the pool, not get too close to the fence where it might over-shoot and hit a car on the road below).

Is this a sign it's time to go back to school, when the summer-time inventions include flames and projectiles? Before he burns the neighborhood down (did I mention the death-ray he built earlier this summer)?

Start squelching that creative curiosity with text-books, schedules, and over-crowded classromms before it's too late--that's what I say. Oh, wait--this kid's home-schooled!

No comments:

Post a Comment